Things are getting more interesting on this episode, but I'm scared for both Lee rang and Ji-ah's choices - will they give up Lee yeon for their contract/ happiness?
1. As mentioned on the earlier episodes foxes will always repay the debt of one’s kindness. When a fox owes someone, there will be a transparent ring that is connected to the particular person who has helped them. That’s what happened between Lee yeon and A Eum - she helped him to get away from the scary villagers who wanted to kill him.
2. Imoogi hates Lee yeon and always wants him dead because imoogi has always been jealous of him - “It should have been me. The mountain spirit and the man by that lady’s side. In the mountain spirit’s body, I will marry her (Ji-ah)”
3. The details of the night when A Eum was killed finally showed on this episode!! A Eum, whose body was controlled by imoogi, killed everyone in the village. She even tried to kill Lee yeon using the arrow. Lee yeon, who truly loves her, couldn’t really hurt her back; and when she realised everything she had done, she cried and was comforted by Lee yeon. But imoogi quickly took back the control of her body, so Lee yeon tried to make a deal for imoogi to take over his body instead and set her free - which was agreed by the imoogi. Lee yeon could only hope for A Eum to live freely and happily, and forget about him.
4. When A Eum took over her body back, she begged Lee yeon not to sacrifice himself for her - which was, of course, disapproved by him. But she used their connected transparent ring so he had no choice but to kill her - “I want you to repay me. Kill me.”
5. Lee rang, who promised to meet Lee yeon, was picked up by the evil man (CEO of Ji-ah’s company) instead. He was warned for wanting to go against imoogi - which angers him, but he couldn’t really do anything since he has the transparent ring connected to the evil man (he was once saved from dying by the man when he get stabbed by Lee yeon’s sword). Since a Fox cannot break a contract, the man requested “Give me Lee yeon. I’ll give you 2 days. I need his body”. The imoogi has always wanted to take over Lee yeon’s body.
I honestly feel really bad for Lee rang for not having any options and having to go against his heart.
7. Imoogi was faking his identity as an intern at Ji-ah’s company so he can get closer to her. Weirdly, Imoogi, who can read people’s mind, can’t read Ji-ah’s.
8. Ji-ah and imoogi (as intern) had their first assignment together, where they have to go investigate a mummified case at a construction site. And weirdly, the mummy has a set of fake nails that she found at the evil man’s house previously.
9. After putting the pieces together about the fake nails, Ji-ah went to ask the evil man to clarify the truth. Without any hesitation, the evil man showed the words 'Seo Gyeong' on his forehead to Ji-ah. He also relayed the message from her parents “Ji-ah, why won’t you come save us?”
Things got really troubling for Ji-ah when she was asked to choose between Lee yeon or her parents. The evil man told her “Bring me the mountain spirit (Lee yeon), then I’ll return your parents to you.”
11. Lee yeon went to meet imoogi in person. Imoogi threatened him that everyone around him will be killed unless he give up his body to imoogi.
I feel that Lee rang will die at the end of this series, here’s the reason why:
1. Lee rang, who isn’t half imoogi, was supposed to die long time ago. In fact, his name has always been registered under the missing dead people. So his death is sort of a postponed destiny.
2. Lee rang went to see Lee yeon’s grandma to ask how can he break the contract with the evil man. And he was answered “There’s only a way. Die. Unless you die, a fox can’t escape their contract.” But Lee rang was stopped by the grandpa before leaving, telling him that that he shouldn’t only be thinking about breaking the contract, but also to untangle all the mess he has made - “Keep this in mind, all contracts are equivalent”
What I get from 'all contracts are equivalent' is that a favour for a favour - in this case I'm thinking that the grandpa was telling Lee rang not only to die to break the contract, but at least sacrifice himself for his brother so his death can also be useful to fix all the mess.
At the same time, there is a chance of Ji-ah having to die (again) to fix all the problems with imoogi, since Lee yeon's grandma said "Is her sacrifice really the only way to prevent the disorder?". If this is the case then perhaps in order to save Lee yeon, she has to sacrifice herself again; then Lee yeon will have to wait for hundred of years (again) for Ji-ah to reborn. I honestly don't know which ending would be better, but I'm just hoping for a freaking happy ending...😭